1. PROGRAM MISSION
The training program in Space Science and Satellite Technology – Department of Space and Aeronautics is a unique educational structure in Vietnam for senior technicians and future scientists who can participate in the development of space science, space technology, and its applications in Vietnam. This program is designed for students with superior math, physic, and science skills and who have a strong interest in the space domain. The teaching contents are based both on theoretical and experimental (practical) approaches and are prepared and taught in conjunction with Foreign invited and Vietnamese professors, with a strong French input. All subjects are taught in English.
Besides, this training program also allows students to develop inter-disciplinary skills: English, French, project organization and management, personal development (scientific writing, communication, creativity and entrepreneurship, and team working skills). They are capable to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams and in an international environment; taking appropriate positions in the industry upon graduation and growing into leadership positions, and also pursuing scientific research or higher education.
2. PROGRAM CURRICULUM
The Bachelor curriculum – Science and Technology – is managed by USTH and follows strictly the Bologna process (3 years with 180 ECTS). The ECTS is based on the principle that 60 credits represent the workload of a full-time student in one academic year. The student workload of a full-time study program in Europe amounts in most cases to around 1500-1800 hours per year, therefore 1-credit is equivalent to 25-30 working hours (in class, practice, homework, assignment). The first 2-semesters constitute the foundation year, including the natural sciences (mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology), informatics and English courses.
From the second year, students will be provided with scientific/technological competencies and knowledge covering multiple domains, methodologies, and tools. Afterward, the significant subjects falling under the umbrella of Space science/technology and its applications comprise Earth Observation & Modeling, Astrophysics, and Satellite Technologies. The courses offered are the main building blocks of Space science and technology. Emphasis has also been given to research and applications-oriented areas: space mission design and analysis, satellite technology and control, space materials, astrophysics, GIS, remote sensing, etc. It uses new space-age technologies like satellite positioning, space data visualizations, analysis tools, and space data interpretation to greatly advance scientific understanding of Earth’s surface and its systems. About 30% of training time is devoted to practical work in disciplinary teaching modules. These modules may be based on studying industrial systems, projects and/or training periods.
3. PROGRAM OUTCOMES
These objectives are clearly reflected as below expected learning outcomes:
- Solid professional knowledge to adapt to various jobs of researching theories, modeling ideas, designing and developing technology solutions, consulting and managing required systems in the field of Space and Applications.
- Personal and professional skills and attributes:
- Reasoning and problem solving
- Experimentation and knowledge discovery
- System thinking and critical thinking
- Creativity, activeness and seriousness
- Professional ethics, integrity, responsibility and accountability
- Interpersonal skills for teamwork and international communication:
- Leadership and skills to work in cross-disciplinary teams
- Communication skills: written communication, electronic/multimedia communication, presentation, persuasive argument, effective negotiation
- English skills, IELTS ≥ 6.5
- Conceiving, designing, implementing, and operating systems/products/technical solutions in the enterprise and social context.
4. CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
By the end of the program, graduates will have gained valuable professional knowledge allowing them to apply experimental and theoretical tools, either to pursue a Master’s degree at USTH or foreign institutions (Europe, Canada, USA, and Japan) or to adapt to the Vietnamese employment market. The job placements in space and applications-related areas have the strong characteristic of diversity and multi-disciplinary and contribute to all socio-economic activities of the country:
– Space and Satellite Technologies
– Astros dynamics: different subsystems of spacecraft/ satellite
– Remote Sensing/ GIS techniques: Space and Earth data processing/ analysis techniques/monitoring
– Meteorology, Atmospheric Sciences
– Space Physics: Astronomy and Astrophysics.
5. CONTACT INFORMATION
– About the training program:
Department of Space and Applications (SA)
Tel: (+84-24) 32 12 15 72
Add: Room 308, 3rd floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi
– About Admission:
Department of Academic Affairs (DAA)
Tel: ( + 84-24) 7772 7748
Add: Room 102, 1st floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi