1. GENERAL PROGRAMS:
- Food Science and Technology (FST) is in high demand in the agriculture, light industry, and health care sectors in Vietnam. The recent statistics alarmingly show that hundreds of industrial zones in 5 big cities and 58 provinces need thousands of relevant technologists per year.
- The establishment of the FST Program at USTH will contribute to filling this gap in highly qualified human resources of the domain. The program will provide scientific knowledge and practical skills in relevant fundamental sciences in order to develop modern procedures, and specific applications for Vietnamese agricultural products as well as to control food quality and safety.
- The academic curriculum of the FST program at USTH provides an innovative approach and introduces cutting-edge food technologies. The program is specifically designed and well adapted for value-adding technologies of Vietnamese agricultural products. In addition, various practical courses help to sharpen students’ skills to be technically and socially competent in the food industry.
2. PROGRAM CURRICULUM
- The Food Science and Technology Program provides students with three options:
- Food processing technology
- Food safety and quality
- Food innovation management
- Each option includes a “core curriculum”, consisting of courses in food science and technology, and a group of additional/optional courses that focuses on providing more specific knowledge in the student’s chosen area.
|Year||Name of course||ECTs||Code|
|B2||Semester 3||Management sciences||Law on Intellectual Rights||1||FSTB2.01|
|Core courses||Introduction to food science and technology||2||FSTB2.04|
|Food physics I||3||FSTB2.08|
|Semester 4||Core courses||Food physics II||3||FSTB2.12|
|Food Analytical Chemistry||3||FSTB2.13|
|Food Microbiological Analysis||3||FSTB2.14|
|Process and equipment in food Technology||4||FSTB2.15|
|Food safety and sanitation||3||FSTB2.16|
|Food legislation and regulation||3||FSTB2.17|
|Food quality management||3||FSTB2.18|
|Practice on food technology||2||FSTB2.20|
|Selective courses (choose 3 of 5 courses)||Food-born Disease||2||FSTB2.21|
|Environmental safety in food industry||2||FSTB2.23|
|Introduction to Ecological Agriculture||2||FSTB2.24|
|Strategies of International Agri-food marketing||2||FSTB2.25|
|TOTAL OF ECTS||60|
|B3||Semester 5||Management Sciences||Scientific Writing||2||FSTB3.01
|Core courses||Post-harvest Science and Technology||4||FSTB3.03|
|Food formulation technology||3||FSTB3.07|
|Food product development||3||FSTB3.08|
|New trend in food technology||2||FSTB3.09|
|Semester 6||Core courses||Sensory evaluation of food product||2||FSTB3.10|
|Tropical fruit and vegetable technology||3||FSTB3.12|
|Selective courses (choose 2 of 5 courses)||Technology of tea, cocoa and coffee||2||FSTB3.15|
|Candy and sugar technology||2||FSTB3.16|
|Technology of oil product||2||FSTB3.17|
|Aroma and food additive technology||2||FSTB3.28|
|TOTAL OF ECTS||60|
3. PROGRAM OUTCOMES
After following the FST training program, students could acquire:
- An ability to apply knowledge in mathematics, science
- An ability to conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to analyze a system, and components in real food processing to meet desired needs within realistic constraints
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify and solve problems in real situations such as food processing, and food quality control.
- An ability to communicate effectively
- An ability to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- An understanding of the obligations to develop food processing and to control the food quality in Vietnam and all over the world.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
4. CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Graduates can pursue professional jobs or continue to the master’s program at USTH or at any of the postgraduate courses offered in the Food Science and Technology fields.
In addition, we offer a panel of opportunities for internships in universities and institutions in France. Students will have a great chance to become scientific advisors, consultants, lecturers or researchers at one of our partners’ establishments.
A bachelor’s degree in food science prepares students necessary skills for successful careers in the food industry. Food science graduates are leaders in food production, processing and development systems, food quality assurance and control, food science research team, and regulation and enforcement of food laws.
5. CONTACT INFORMATION
– About the training program:
Department of Life Sciences (LS)
Tel: (+84-24) 3212 1576
Add: Room 307, 3rd floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi
– About Admission:
Department of Academic Affairs (DAA)
Tel: ( + 84-24) 7772 7748
Add: Room 102, 1st floor, A21 building, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi